Canon Pixma MG5720 Review - The Canon Pixma MG5720 Wireless Inkjet All-in-One is obviously meant to be used as a home multifunction printer (MFP), with a distinct lack of key office-centric features like faxing, an Ethernet port, and an automatic document feeder (ADF). Unlike many printers meant for home use, however, it offers high-quality text, making it a more-than-reasonable choice for light-duty use as a personal office printer or for the dual role of home and home-office printer. Thanks to its high level of output quality, it's also our Editor's Choice budget MFP weighted heavily toward home use.
To avoid confusion, you need to know that Canon offers two other printers that it says are identical to the MG5720 except for the color. In addition to the Canon MG5720 coming in a choice of all black or all white, you can get the same printer in black and silver as the Canon MG5721, or in white and silver as the Canon Pixma MG5722. Everything in this review applies to all four iterations of the three models.
The Canon Pixma MG5720 measures 5.9 by 18 by 14.6 inches (HWD) and weighs 13 pounds 13 ounces. Basic MFP features are limited to printing, scanning, and copying. There's no USB Type A port or memory card slot, which means you can't print from a USB key, a PictBridge camera over a USB cable, or a memory card. However, like most other recent Canon Pixma models, the printer supports Wireless PictBridge, which Canon says is available on all of its recent camera models that offer Wi-Fi. It isn't available on any cameras from other manufacturers.
Beyond the basics, the Canon Pixma MG5720 offers mobile printing and scanning, as well as the ability to print from selected websites. Connect it to your network using Wi-Fi, and you can both print from and scan to iOS, Android, and Windows phones and tablets through an access point on your network. You can also print through the cloud, assuming your network is connected to the Internet, and you can use the Canon Print App on your phone or tablet to send print jobs directly to the printer from assorted websites, including Dropbox, Google Drive, Facebook, Twitter, and more.
If you connect the Canon Pixma MG5720 to a PC via USB cable, you won't be able to print through the cloud or print directly from websites, but you can still print from and scan to mobile devices by connecting directly to the printer using Canon's equivalent to Wi-Fi Direct.
Paper handling goes a touch beyond the basics, with an automatic duplexer. Paper capacity is 100 sheets, which is sufficient for most personal use. For scanning, there's a letter-size flatbed, but no ADF.
Output quality is the MG5720 strongest selling point. Text is at the high end of the range that includes the vast majority of inkjet MFPs, making it easily good enough for any business use. Graphics output is even better relative to other inkjets, putting it a step above the vast majority. Most people would consider it good enough for handing out to a client they wanted to impress with a sense of their professionalism.
Photos are in the top tier for an inkjet MFP, which makes them higher quality than most drugstore prints. They're not quite a match for the best-quality photos from inkjets aimed at professional photographers, but those printers are also a lot more expensive and not intended for printing typical business documents.
Canon Pixma MG5720 Specifications:
- Print Speed (up to): 4 x 6 Borderless Photo: Approx. 41 seconds, Black:ESAT (Black): Approx. 12.6 ipm, Color:ESAT (Color): Approx 9.0 ipm
- Number of Nozzles: Color: 3,072 / Pigment Black: 1,024 / Total: 4,096
- Picoliter Size (color): 2 and 5
- Print Resolution (Up to): Color:Up to 4800 x 1200 dpi, Black:Up to 600 x 600 dpi
- Ink Compatibility: PGI-270 Pigment Black XL, CLI-271 Cyan XL, CLI-271 Magenta XL, CLI-271 Yellow XL, CLI-271 Black XL, PGI-270 Pigment Black, CLI-271 Cyan, CLI-271 Magenta, CLI-271 Yellow, CLI-271 Black
- Paper Sizes: 4 x 6, 5 x 7, 8 x 10, Letter, Legal, U.S. #10 Envelopes
- Paper Compatibility: Plain: Plain Paper, Canon High Resolution Paper, Super High Gloss: Photo Paper Pro Platinum, Glossy: Photo Paper Plus Glossy II, Photo Paper Glossy, Semi-Gloss: Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss, Photo Paper Pro Luster, Matte: Matte Photo Paper, Envelope: U.S. #10 Envelope
- Printer Features: AirPrint, Auto 2-Sided Printing, Auto Photo Fix II, Borderless Printing, Document Printing, Easy PhotoPrint+16, Full HD Movie Print, Special Filters, Google Cloud Print, My Image Garden, Mopria Device Printing, Photo Printing, Canon PRINT app, PIXMA Cloud Link, Red-Eye Correction, Image Cropping, Quiet Mode, Wireless PictBridge, Wireless Printing.
- Output Tray Capacity: 100 Sheets Plain Paper -OR- 20 Sheets of 4x6 Photo Paper
- Copy Speed (up to): FCOT(Color): Approx. 20 seconds
- Copy Features: 4-on-1 / 2-on-1 Copy, Auto Exposure Copy, Auto Photo Fix II, Borderless Copy, Fade Restoration, Fit-to-Page, Frame Erase Copy, Preset Copy Ratios, Two-sided Copy
- Scanning Element:Contact Image Sensor (CIS)
- Max. Resolutions: Optical:1200 x 2400 dpi
- Interpolated:19,200 x 19,200 dpi
- Scanner Features: Auto Scan Mode, Network Scan, Push Scan, Wireless Scanning
- Color Depth: 48-bit internal/24-bit external
- Max. Document Size: 8.5 x 11.7
- Other Features: 2.5 LCD, 5-Color Ink System, CREATIVE PARK PREMIUM, Auto Power On/Off, Quiet Mode, Canon PRINT app, PIXMA Cloud Link, QuickStart
- OS Compatibility: Windows: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows 7 SP1, Windows Vista SP1, Vista SP2, Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Mac: Mac OS X v10.7.5 - 10.10
- Standard Interface: Hi-Speed USB, PictBridge (Wireless LAN), Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11b/g/n)
- Software Included: PIXMA MG5720 Printer Driver, Scan Utility, Master Setup, My Printer (Windows Only), Network Tool, My Image Garden, Full HD Movie Print, CREATIVE PARK PREMIUM, Special Filters, Image Correction/Enhance, and scanning are accessed through My Image Garden, Quick Menu.
- Dimension (W x D x H): 18.0 (W) x 14.6 (D) x 5.9 (H)
- Weight: 13.8 lbs.
Download =>> Canon Pixma MG5720 Driver